December 3, 2018
Common Legal Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Presenter: Nick Gehrig
Learn about common legal mistakes organizers make and equip yourself with the knowledge to avoid them.
Nicholas Gehrig will present to the NAPO-WDC members, a presentation on legal issues facing small business owners (and how to avoid them). Mr. Gehrig is a co-managing partner of a 17 attorney law firm located on King Street in Old Town, Alexandria. He counsels his clients, ranging from individuals to large corporations, on a myriad of issues encountered in their business operations. Topics will include:
- Business structure and formation;
- Contract drafting;
- Roles that lawyers play in business;
- Why can’t I just use Legal Zoom and other traps for the unwary; and,
- Dispute resolution.
Mr. Gehrig focuses his practice on business and civil litigation.
In the business realm, Mr. Gehrig assists aspiring business owners with the legal and contractual issues involved in starting a business with an aim towards protecting the principals of the business from personal liability. After formation of the business, Mr. Gehrig advises clients on maintaining compliance with state laws and regulations to preserve the integrity of the business. Mr. Gehrig serves as an affordable alternative to in-house counsel for several businesses by advising on business operations and transactions, contract drafting and review, and compliance with licensing requirements. Additionally, Mr. Gehrig represents both landlords and tenants in commercial lease negotiation and drafting.
Mr. Gehrig frequently litigates in Northern Virginia courts to protect the interests of his clients. Mr. Gehrig has represented clients in landlord-tenant, contract, business, neighbor, and real estate disputes.
- Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP, Alexandria, Virginia (2007-present)
- Court Admissions
- State Courts of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Bar and Professional Memberships:
- Alexandria Bar Association (Director at Large: 2010-2012; Treasurer: 2013-2014; President-Elect: 2014-2015; President: 2015-2016; Immediate Past President: 2016-2017)
- Alexandria Bar Association, Young Lawyers Committee (Chairman, 2009-2013)
- Alexandria Bar Foundation Board of Directors (2016-2017)
- Alexandria Bar Association, Beat the Odds Mentorship Committee (Chairman, 2010-2017)
- Alexandria Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (2013-Present)
- Pro Bono Counsel to the Alexandria Scholarship Fund (2010-Present)
- The George Mason American Inn of Court, Member (2014-Present)
- Virginia State Bar
- Alexandria Law Library (Board of Directors, 2010-2013)
Honors and Accolades:
- 2017 Virginia Lawyers Weekly “Up & Coming Lawyer”
- “Rising Star” by Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine in General Litigation (2013-2018)
- “Rising Star” by Washington DC Super Lawyers Magazine as published by the Washington Post Magazine in General Litigation (2014-2018)
- “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business in Civil Litigation (2014 and 2016)
- “Distinguished Lawyer” by Expert Network
Refreshments will be served.
Directions and Parking Instructions
If navigating by GPS, use 19 N. Jackson St, Arlington VA 22201
Inclement Weather Policy
In the event that bad weather is predicted on the day of a chapter meeting, NAPO-WDC will follow cancellation protocols according to that meeting's location set by Montgomery County Public Schools or Arlington County Public Schools.